Senior Java Developer / Chapter lead
about the company
benerail is the leading railway retail expert in Europe
Have you ever tried to book an international train ticket? Nightmare, right? That’s what we are trying to solve. Our organisation enables companies to sell international railway tickets across Europe, regardless of the company operating the train. Our API and front-ends are the market standard in the Benelux and are accompanied by supportive services like product data management, consultancy and integration services. In this way we reduce complexity for our customers, so they can focus entirely on optimising the service to the travelers and make the choice for international railway travel easy in order that everything is interconnected.
benerail is your smart ticket to a greener world
benerail is a spin-off from The Belgian and Dutch national railways, well established yet very ambitious. To help the railway industry become the most attractive environmentally friendly and competitive means of transport, our strategy now focuses on expansion. Driven by our mission to facilitate a significant contribution to a better climate, we are building a scalable and sustainable organisation built on autonomous and purpose-driven teams.
Our main office is located in Antwerp, with flex in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and Brussels. We get connected, both in person and remote, drinks included.
about the job
You will be part of an agile product team, with your main task will be writing code. You’ll be involved- and get a say - in all aspects of the development process, from discovery to deployment. Following the agile way of working, you’re part of the team Scrum ceremonies, which will help you to remain focused on the goals of the team and the organisation. We work in sprints of three weeks and try to deliver significant value for our customers, every deployment.
Not only will you be doing more technical tasks, but you’ll also gradually take on the role of leader of the Development Chapter. As a Chapter Lead, you’ll be responsible for all the developers working at benerail; an expanding group of 10-15 people. Being a Chapter Lead means taking on the role of a servant leader, supporting and help grow your colleague developers. Specifically, you’ll be performing the following tasks:
- Coach the developers to a higher technical level.
- Enable the removal of barriers that hinder the development flow.
- Co-create a global approach for software migrations.
- Facilitate optimal development tools selection.
- Recruit members for the Development Chapter, with the support of HR.
Together with the other Chapter Leads, you will endeavour to continuously improve the growth of our employees and company.
We are looking for an ambitious and people-focused developer. Yes, they exist! Someone who likes to take juniors under her/his wing and see them grow. Comfortably crossing swords with the old dogs of legacy to tap their knowledge and keep things moving. Passionate in discussing “the ultimate” solution yet willing to admit that next time we will do it completely different. A team player who can hold her/his own on every corporate level, both in the dev teams and the boardroom.
- Solid Scrum/Agile experience and supporter
- 10+ years of experience in programming in a complex technical environment
- Extensive knowledge of: Java Component Technology and Frameworks (J2EE, EJB, Spring, Hibernate, JPA, Junit, Mockito) & Springboot is an absolute must; REST APIs (JSON, Swagger/OpenAPI, HATEOAS...); Kubernetes & containerisation
- Interest in the Cloud
- DevOps experiences
- TDD and Pair-programming experience or interest
- Master English as the working language
- Dutch and/or French is a plus
- Take pride in creating consistent high-quality code, based on best practices
- Experience in managing technical migrations
- Experience with people management or is at least interested in it
- Flexible to travel to Antwerp regularly
We are looking for a full-time employee (benerail payroll or external consultant).
what we offer
- A varying job in a dynamic and innovative environment as either a fulltime employee on the benerail payroll or as a fulltime external consultant
- Flexibility, including the opportunity to work from home
- A modern office within walking distance of the railway station Antwerpen-Centraal
- Reimbursed international travel (I.e. from the Netherlands to our Belgian office or vice versa)
- A competitive remuneration
- And, very important, a dynamic and vibrant organisation where working goas hand in hand with having fun.
Do you dare to take on this challenge?
To contact us about this job, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com.